As yucky as it is - this isn't a hugely uncommon habit for puppies and adult dogs to develop.
Our founding Holistic Vet believes this can be associated with a nutritional deficiency. This doesn't necessarily mean that they're on the wrong diet - some dogs lack enzymes needed to absorb certain nutrients from food. If your puppy seems driven to eat their own poop we recommend:
- Adding a high quality holistic and natural supplement, such as this one.
- Adding pineapple to their dinner - some studies have found the taste of pineapple in their poop is enough to put them off!
- Check your feeding your puppy enough for their age, weight and activity level (don't forget our lovely team can weigh your dog and help you with this)
- Assess your routine, perhaps your pup needs a bit more brain training/stimulation in their day to day life
- If it's a sudden change, it may be worth speaking to your vet
Things to bear in mind, cattle poop might contain damaging wormers so make sure your pup has excellent recall.